Indian News

Alleged medical negligence after the death of a seriously scorched child

Source: , Posted On:   30 September 2022


Kanjirapalli: A girl who suffered severe burns due to spilled boiled milk died during treatment.

The deceased is Sera Maria Prince, the only daughter of Edakkunnam native Prince Thomas and Diya Mathew.

Sera, who was burnt on September 12, was undergoing treatment at a private hospital at Erumeli in Kottayam district.

The incident happened when Diya was making tea in the morning. As Diya took the pot with the boiled milk from the stove, Sera ran to her mother from behind and unexpectedly grabbed her clothes. The vessel slipped from his hand and the hot milk fell on Sera, the Prince said.

Sera suffered burns on the left side of the body including eyes and ears and was undergoing treatment for 16 days.

The post-mortem was conducted at the Kottayam Medical College Hospital and the last rites were performed at St. Mary’s Church in Podimattam on Thursday. Prince, who worked in Oman, returned home after the death of his child.

Prince alleged that the death was due to negligence on the part of the authorities at the private hospital in Irumeli. He also said that he will file a complaint against the hospital.

But Soni Hospital officials said the child had suffered 40 per cent burns and there was no medical negligence. His health had improved in the initial days. But later the health condition worsened due to infection and pneumonia, hospital officials said.